WHAT is all this talk about Ethical Fashion?
Here at CWOW we take great pride in providing our customers with ethical fashion choices, but there are many people who don’t exactly know what ethical fashion is, let alone know the impact it makes on others and even themselves. So what exactly is ethical fashion?
Obviously the word ethical is well known and is defined as something that is morally right or acceptable. So ethical fashion can be defined as clothing/accessories that maximizes benefits to people and communities while minimizing impact on the environment. So basically it is clothing, accessories, handbags, etc. that are good for the earth and the people that live in it, not to mention it’s all adorable too!
According to the Ethical Fashion Forum, to determine if a certain line of clothing or accessories are ethical, they need to consider the following 10 criteria:
1. Countering fast, cheap fashion and damaging patterns of fashion consumption
2. Defending fair wages, working conditions and workers’ rights
3. Supporting sustainable livelihoods
4. Addressing toxic pesticide and chemical use
5. Using and/or developing eco-friendly fabrics and components
6. Minimizing water use
7. Recycling and addressing energy efficiency and waste
8. Developing or promoting sustainability standards for fashion
9. Resources, training and/ or awareness raising initiatives
10. Animal rights
Obviously, according to these criteria, there is a lot of standards that the artisans have to keep in mind as they make their creations. All of the pieces are handmade with love and care, so every time you purchase an item, remember you are getting a quality item made by women who want to make a difference just like you! The impact that ethical fashion has on the world and its people are incredible. It changes the artisan’s lives, and can very easily change yours as well.
CWOW is proud to carry beautiful pieces of clothing and accessories from ethical fashion companies and will continue to do so. Now we encourage you, our customers, to make the commitment to ethical fashion.